Software I use
Software, tools, services I use
- Ubuntu latest releases with KDE as desktop in my Lenovo X1 Carbon laptop.
- Android 11 in my Redmi note 10 phone
- Codesandbox.io - For sharing code samples that require framework support like Vue projects. An easy way to import a repo to CodeSandbox via URL is with GitHubBox.com. Append 'box' to your github.com URL in between 'hub' and '.com' and it will redirect to CodeSandbox. Here's an example:Change the GitHub URL: https://github.com/reduxjs/redux/tree/master/examples/todomvc.
- Google doc - for collaborative document editing. Heavily used at work
- I use Firefox as primary browser.
- Chrome for my WMF account. Also for its powerful developer tools.
- Inkscape - for all kind of vector drawing, typeface design
- Kolorpaint - for quick Image editing
- Gimp - For image manipulation like resizing , scaling
I use the Reader View in Firefox to get clean reading for many websites including wikipedia.
For newsfeeds and RSS subscriptions, I use a telegram bot https://github.com/santhoshtr/telegram-rss-reader It fetches the feeds in regular intervals. Helps me to read in mobile and deskop without any extra application. Adding new feeds is just a matter of pasting the URL to chat. Cons: It is just a linear list of chat messages(I mute it) and don't expect feed categorization and organization as you would expect in a RSS reader application
- Amazon Prime
- Youtube(free account).
- VLC - Not much these days as I use online services.
- Facebook - I don't use mobile app or login from mobile. In laptop I access it using Firefox Facebook container. Now a days I check facebook in 10 mins or so maximum per day. Often ends up with various Malayalam computing related questions people ask in its chat.
- Telegram - regularly use for family and friends. Also several foss community channels
- Whatsapp - Not active in any group, but this is required for people to reach out me quickly including some immediate family members.
- slack - All my Wikimedia foundation work related communication
I use no-distraction mode in Android always. From 9AM to 5PM, I set focus mode in android - it disables many apps in the phone. At night I use the bedtime mode in Android, which makes the screen black and white, and disables all notification till earliest alarm set.